Monday, January 7, 2008

He knits




The Boy has always taken a liking to yarns, and who really wouldn't? They do come in great colors and can make beautiful and creative things. He's been asking me since I started knitting when he would be allowed to knit. I've always told him he is more than welcome to knit anytime he wants. He has varying lengths of time in which he will sit still and attempt to knit. I never push him because I know if someone tried to force me to sit there with two sticks and a ball of yarn, I never would have learned to knit.

Today I decided to attempt to make a log cabin type afghan. I didn't want something complicated, because I get frustrated easily. It was beautiful outside, so I took my knitting with us. He immediately asked if he could knit. I grabbed him size 10 needles, and let him pick a color yarn. I showed him again how to knit, after I cast on for him. Today, he made it work. He actually seemed to just figure it out. Now, this is a four year old. This is not knitting of adult caliber! His knitting wasn't perfect, but he got the basic idea down. He was so proud of himself. Of course, making a thin scarf for one of his stuffed animals didn't seem worthy of all this work. But, he is slowly working on it. I think we have one whole inch!



Before long, the bliss wore off. He was running around and climbing on everything. But, I felt great sitting side by side with our yarn. I'm not really sure how kids learn to knit other than what I tried to show him. I remember the days of my Gram teaching me to crochet, and I wish I would have payed more attention. I just love sharing things with my Son. Even if it is only for a short time.

2 comments:

Tara said...

WOW! I am so impressed that your 4 year old is doing some knitting of his own! That is soooooo cool. I remember when I started knitting in my early 20s, I discovered that my dad had learned to knit as a very little boy from his mother. I love passing traditions along.

Cathy said...

I love passing traditions down as well :) I've only been knitting a couple years, so I'm still learning. It's great that your Dad learned to knit when he was little. Maybe my son will stick with it, who knows!