Monday, June 16, 2008

What do you do for work?

I've been asked what I do for work at least once a day. I used to answer "Oh, I stay home with my son.". No one blinked an eye when my son was a baby. Now that he is almost five, people seem to pass judgement quicker. Somehow, the comments or eye rolls of strangers makes me feel less secure in our decision for me to stay home to raise our son. Or the comment "Well, once he is in school, what will you do for work?". Which brings up the tedious discussion of homeschooling. I feel like when I tell people we will be homeschooling, they have to jump in with random facts of why public schools are best for children. As if they feel I am somehow judging their own choices.

The thing is, we are doing what we feel is right for our child. I have no judgments on what others choose to do for their families. Of course, just because I stay home with the Boy doesn't mean I don't have other interests. I have many.

While at the hair stylist the other day, she asked me that now dreaded question. To which I stated "At the moment, I stay home with my son." She laughed and said "Well, THAT is work. That is hard work, right??" And, it is, but very rewarding work.

No comments: